Grilled Salad January 19 2016
Nutrition-wise with chocolates and champagne as its mascots, Valentine’s Day is cited as the second least-healthy holiday on the calendar. Here’s a heart healthy recipe that will have your loved ones swooning – Grilled Hearts of Romaine with a Honey based dressing.
What You’ll Need
- 4 Romaine Hearts
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cucumber
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 / 2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 / 4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
What You’ll Do
- Preheat grill – or grill pan – on low heat and lightly oil the grate to prevent sticking.
- Cut the Romaine Hearts in half length-wise.
- Slice the Tomatoes in slices that are about 1 / 4 inch thick.
- Brush both the Romaine Hearts and the Tomatoes with the 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil and 2 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Put the Tomatoes on a piece of aluminum foil and place on the grill. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until they have a slightly char.
- Once you flip the Tomatoes for the first time, put the Romaine Hearts directly on the lightly oiled grill grates. Cook for about 2 minutes, until tender, and then flip for another 2 minutes.
- When both are tender and have a slight char on each side, remove from grill.
- Chop the grilled Romaine Hearts and Tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and put into a large bowl or several smaller serving plates.
- Combine the Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Honey and Dijon Mustard into a small container with a secure lid
- Put the lid on the jar and shake until all ingredients are combined.
- Spoon over salad and store extra in lidded container