Healthy Recipes - Cranberry Apple Pie November 15 2014
It's the holiday season! For me, that means great food with great friends and family. I like to bring something to the table, and one of my go-to treats is a Cranberry-Apple Pie - easy to make and delicious to eat! The pie contains no dairy and very little fat - so feel free to snack on a second slice! I always do!
What You'll Need:
* Cranberries, fresh or frozen - 2 cups
* Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
* Cornstarch - 4 tablespoons
* Water - 2 tablespoons
* Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts - 1 box (2 crusts)
* Apples - 5 to 6 medium-sized (5 to 6 cups sliced)
* Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
* Nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
* Your Appetite!
What You'll Need To Do:
* Heat your oven to 425 degrees and line the bottom of your pie plate with one of the pie crusts
* In a medium saucepan, combine your 2 cups cranberries, 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons water. Heat it to boiling and let it boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 5 minutes, let it cool for 15 minutes.
* In a large bowl, mix 5 to 6 cups apples, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
* Stir the cranberry mixture into the apple mixture.
* Spoon the apple-cranberry filling into the crust-lined pie plate. When done, top with the second pie crust and press ends together to seal. Cut slits into the top of the crust.
* Bake for 40 to 50 minutes total or until top is golden brown and house smells yummy! (NOTE: 20 minutes into baking, cover the crust's edges with strips of foil to prevent burning)