Healthy Recipes - Mini Apple Pies November 07 2014
My favorite food to eat right after crossing the finish is fresh fruit. For me, nothing beats the refreshing post-race taste of a plum or apple. Later on, when I'm in what I call my 'replenishment mode' (read: eating everything in sight), I crave heartier, but still healthier, dishes. Here's a favorite recipe of mine: mini-apple pies, with good fats and great taste!
What You'll Need:
* Granny Smith Apple - 1, washed, cored and diced
* Almond Butter - 4 tablespoons
* Rolled Oats - 1/2 cup
* Honey - 1 tablespoon
* Chopped Almonds and Walnuts - 1/4 cup
* Unsweetened Coconut Flakes - 1/4 cup
* Cinnamon - 2 teaspoons divided
* Nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
* Cardamom - 1/4 teaspoon
* Lemon Juice - 2 teaspoons
* Ramekins or Custard Cups - 4 for baking
* Your Appetite!
What You'll Need To Do:
* Heat your oven to 375 degrees and put 1 tablespoon of Almond Butter in each of the four baking cups.
* In one bowl, combine your 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup nuts, 1/4 cup coconut, 1 tablespoon honey and just 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, setting aside the second.
* Wash, slice and dice your 1 apple. Put it in a separate, second bowl with your remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
* Divide your apple mixture into your baking cups, then top with the oat mixture.
* Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.